Frost is not the Answer to Nebraska’s Problems

On Dec. 2, 2017, Scott Frost accepted the job of head coach for the Nebraska Cornhuskers football program. This came on the heels of Frost leading the University of Central Florida to an undefeated season and an Orange Bowl victory over the Auburn Tigers.

I, quite frankly, was not a fan of the move. Even though he makes substantially more money at Nebraska, and the Huskers are supposed to be a great program, I did not understand why Frost would leave his undefeated team at UCF for a team like Nebraska, who has not been very good since they fired Bo Pelini shortly after the 2014 season.

However, Husker fans everywhere buzzed with excitement when Frost accepted the job. For many Nebraska fans, this was the perfect fit. People seemed to think  Frost was the savior because he quarterbacked the Huskers to two national championships in 1995 and 1996.   

The 2018 recruiting class for Frost ranked 22 in the country and fourth in the Big 10, which was an improvement from the previous class under Mike Reilly, which ranked 23 in the country and fifth in the Big 10. So, many fans already thought Frost was the “chosen one.”

Expectations were high in fall 2018 heading into Frost’s first season. The Huskers started 0-6. Frost coached his team to a 4-8 record in his first season. It wasn’t quite time to panic yet, given Frost was a first year head coach of the Huskers.

Honestly, over the next two seasons, though, things did not change much for Frost and his team. Nebraska continues to find themselves at the bottom of the Big 10 and continues to lose to their rival, the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, every year. 

In the 2021 season, Frost has proven his inability to develop players as well. Adrian Martinez is a senior quarterback, whom Frost started in 2017 when he first arrived, and he looks just as bad as he did his freshman year. He makes poor reads and bad decisions late in games that ultimately end up costing them the game.

Things are just as bad this year. The Huskers find themselves once again fighting to make a no name bowl game with a record of 3-5, still having to play Iowa and Ohio State. If they do not finish the season with a winning record, Scott Frost must be fired, and they have to bring in a coach that can right the ship, or else Nebraska fans will be miserable for many more years. 

As much as I believe that Scott Frost is incapable of reviving Nebraska’s football program, I really do enjoy seeing him in the position because watching Nebraska lose games that they should theoretically win is quite entertaining.

It is also very funny to me how much Nebraska fans still believe in Frost and are extremely quick to jump in and defend him. They constantly throw all the blame on others and not Frost, who is in charge of the team.  

Scott Frost cannot help Nebraska win and is lucky to still have a job that he is barely clinging on to.