Messi is the Goat

Lionel Messi, Argentinian soccer superstar, has accumulated very impressive feats throughout his career; however, the question still hangs in the air: who is the soccer G.O.A.T? According to popular belief, the two best players of all time are Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. Others may include players like Pele, Neymar jr, and Maradona, but for this comparison, it’s just Ronaldo vs Messi. To keep things simple, Messi has more individual awards, more international success, more career assists, completed dribbles and free kicks made. Ronaldo has more career goals, penalty goals, header goals, and club success than Messi, but how to determine who’s better? Seeming even stat-wise, Messi and Ronaldo are separated by 1 major thing: the World Cup. The World Cup is a world-wide soccer tournament, consisting of the best countries and their national players from many different clubs coming together to play for their country. This tournament proves either the dominance of a country or just a few individual players. Countries like Brazil, France, and Germany have prodigies in every position while smaller countries like Mexico, Morocco, and Chile only rely on their one or two best players to carry the whole team. Likewise, Messi has just won Argentina the 2024 World Cup, proving himself as one of the best to do it. Although Messi had important assistance in his teammates Angel di Maria and Enzo Fernadez, Messi scored two goals and scored in the penalty shootout to secure the Cup for Argentina, one of the better performances in a World Cup Final. Unfortunately, Cristiano Ronaldo has never won any major award for Portugal, only winning one minor award while being injured.