The Mount’s Mount Rushmore

Some of the most impactful figures in the world are honored by having their faces carved on the side of a mountain. It is fair to say there are members of the Mount Michael community who are deserving of this honor.

When it comes to checking all of the boxes, Russ Brester, the Mount’s grounds and maintenance guy, checks them all. Not many can say that they wake up at the crack of dawn to complete quests including fixing sinks, replacing light bulbs, and waxing the floors. To say the least, Russ allows the school to run at maximum efficiency and helps make Mount Michael the stunning place that it is today.

The Mount has become the place it is today because of the people who have helped shape the brotherhood that is emphasized. One of the most impactful figures in the history of Mount Michael is Mr. Matthew Coghill ‘16. Coghill taught civics and economics for two years and coached basketball at Mount Michael for over half a decade.

In his two years, 2021-2022, in the classroom, Coghill provided the students with a balance of learning and good harmless fun. Coghill was known for assigning nicknames to students, including his iconic name for Kale Sykora ‘24, “Schwabooba.” Along with his unique skill of assigning nicknames, he was also a talented basketball coach. Coghill has influenced countless of his former basketball players and students in the classroom. Therefore, it would only be appropriate for Coghill to have his face carved into a mountain.

When it comes to influence in the classroom, one name always comes to mind: Abbott Michael Liebel ‘68. Abbot Michael is without a doubt one of the most impactful members of the community since the beginning of Mount Michael. Not only has he aided countless former and current students, but he was once a student at the one and only Mount Michael, at the time when it was St. John’s Seminary.

Amongst those who have spent the most time at and around The Mount, Abbot Michael is at the top of the list, from teaching calculus to being spotted getting an early morning pump in the weight room.

While Abbot Michael is getting a quick lift in, kitchen manager John Bogatz is preparing breakfast in the cafeteria. Mr. Bogatz is the first to arrive in the morning, and the last one to leave in the evening. Bogatz does many things for students at the Mount, including making a fan favorite, chicken cordon bleu. Many past and present see the chicken cordon bleu as a symbol of therapy.
Not only does Bogatz make a mean chicken cordon bleu, but his homemade enchiladas are a delicacy. Although these fabled enchiladas are a rarity in the lunchroom, it is a gift from Heaven when they are on the menu.