Beyond the Shell: Rusty Taco

Me and my pal Mr. Ashton Schroder decided to take the long and perilous journey over to the taco joint off 204th Street on January 25th, Rusty Taco. Expectations were high, so our rankings were to be as rigid as possible. Join me and Ashton as we take you through the culinary experience of Rusty Taco. 

Price 3/10 

We thought that for one street taco $3-5 was a little pricey. Rusty Taco would rate much higher if the price for one taco was lower or if a combo meal were to be offered. 

Stuffing 8/10  

The stuffing to tortilla ratio was pretty darn swell. The tortillas were a little small in our opinion but the abundant stuffing made up for the microscopic tortilla. We thought that the amount of stuffing for the beef fajita and the chicken fajita tacos was superb. However, the BBQ brisket taco’s filling was sub-par. There was so much coleslaw and very little meat. 

Taste 7/10 

I decided to partake in a chicken fajita and beef fajita, and it was overall pretty dandy, but nothing crazy. Ashton thought that the BBQ Brisket was stupendous. The coleslaw, although there was too much, perfectly complimented the brisket. 

Environment 5/10 

The ambiance was mid at best. We enjoyed the Tex-Mex feel with pop music. We were welcomed with Tex-Mex aromas. However, it reminded me too much of lots of other Mexican-style restaurants such as Chipotle and Qdoba. It was overall the epitome of average and wasn’t anything to write home about. 

Menu/Drink Selection 7/10 

We give the menu selection a “swell.” There is an abundance of taco choices including breakfast tacos and the classic tacos filled with pork, ground beef, steak, or chicken. There was a grand total of 21 taco options. Not only are tacos offered, but there is also a kid’s meal, nachos, and desserts. Rusty Taco would earn a higher rating if they offered more variety like burritos or enchiladas. 

Sides 8/10 

The side selection was both good and nice. I partook in some quality chips and queso. The chips were quite average to be honest, with just a tad bit of salt to add some zest, but it was made up for the queso. The texture was just right, and I can honestly say it’s one of the best quesos on this side of the Mississippi. 

CP SCALE 

1 Absolute and utter garbage 

2 Yucky 

3 Unfavorable 

4 Below average 

5 Mid 

6 Not too shabby 

7 Swell 

8 Pretty darn swell 

9 Good and nice 

10 Immaculate 

CP Scale score 6.3