Christmas donations help families in need

Christmas presents pile up in the counseling center, where donations are sorted before delivery. This year, Mount Michael helped support eight families. Photo by Alexander Schrier

Student participation in the Family Christmas Project helped eight families in need this year. The project, directed by Mary Our Queen’s Human Needs Committee, matches families in need of financial assistance with student Christmas shoppers.

A tradition brought to Mount Michael by alumnus John Levy ‘99, the Family Christmas Project has continued to be an important part of the community’s commitment to the Christmas season.

Today, the tradition is carried on by school counselor Christy Crnkovich.

“I think it’s a good thing that we do this as a community,” Crnkovich said. “I always feel like my immediate family is so blessed but there are many people that don’t have these blessings. So, if we can all share our blessings with them, I think that’s great.”

The program has had an “overwhelmingly positive response from parents.” But Crnkovich would like to see more participation from the students.

“I think it would be fun to see all of the guys go shopping — instead of their moms going shopping for them — but I do understand you guys are all very busy,” Crnkovich said.

According to Crnkovich, students can learn a lot by involving themselves directly.

“It would be nice if kids thought about what all this little boy asked for was warm socks and a winter coat,” she said. “When a 9-year-old boy is asking for a winter coat, he must really need a winter coat.”

Regardless, Crnkovich is just glad the Christmas program continues.

“It’s pretty cool that this tradition was brought here by a student and that it has stayed a tradition all these years,” she said. “Merry Christmas!”