The Student News Site of Mount Michael Benedictine High School

The Mount Online

New Articles Every Friday

The Mount Online

The Mount Online

Knights take on Cougars

Knights take on Cougars

The Knights’ stout defensive effort fell short, as they lost their first game of the season 7-3 against the Gross Catholic Cougars on Aug. 28. 

Throughout the first quarter, both teams tried to be the first to score, but both defenses showed up. 

That was until senior Cameron Detwiler ‘21 kicked one through the uprights giving the Knights a 3-0 lead with 2:02 left in the first quarter.

For the rest of the half, both offenses were driving but struggled to show their yardage by putting the ball in the endzone. 

“We could have done a much better job of finishing drives and making big plays,” captain Eli Crnkovich ‘21 said.

Penalties were also a problem.  Quarterback Sawyer Thompson ‘22 had a rushing touchdown taken back for a holding penalty in the second quarter. Thompson ended the half with 133 passing yards and 72 rushing yards, but this came at a price. He did not return after the half due to a “bone contusion and strained LCL.”

This led to the keys being handed to sophomore Jack Huber ‘23.

Huber completed 11 passes for a total of 119 passing yards and chipped in 8 rushing yards for the second half. 

“I am very pleased with how Jack played,” head coach Greg Wunderlich said.“Being the backup quarterback is not an easy thing; you never know if and when your name is going to be called.”

The Cougars marched down the field and scored a touchdown with 9:33 left in the third quarter, putting pressure on the Knights to come up with a go-ahead scoring drive.

The offense progressed down the field multiple times but could not find the endzone. Gross got the ball back and began to drive down the field to extend their lead, but Crnkovich had another idea, as he secured an interception that gave the Knights the ball to start the fourth quarter.

Once again, the Knights failed to capitalize, a recurring event in this game.

“Football is a game of inches, we came up short on a couple big plays and that cost us tonight,” Crnkovich said, “We won every way possible tonight, except the score.”

The Knights had two desperation heaves at the end zone as the clock was winding down, but they did not prevail.

Mount Michael hopes to rebound against Blair on Sept. 4.

“Conditioning and physicality will be an emphasis this week to deal with their run game, and we need to learn from our week one mistakes,” Crnkovich said.