Knights complete RCC winter sports trinity

Graphic displaying the three RCC Championship Teams. Created By: Aiden Frazier

The winter sports triumvirate of wrestling, basketball and swimming were all victorious in their River Cities Conference tournaments, with swimming sealing their win this past  February 14th. This marks the first year that the basketball and wrestling teams have  won their RCC tournaments. 

The basketball team defeated Roncalli Catholic on January 23 at Sokol arena for their first conference championship.. The student section was able to attend with proper COVID-19 protocols, allowing for a boost in moral support during the championship. 

“I was so proud of the guys for pulling it off,” head coach Derrick Spooner said. “I know they enjoyed making school history.”

Wrestling participated in the conference tournament on January 20 at Gross Catholic High School. They placed second in the Yutan Tournament the week before giving them a moral boost going into the conference meet. 

“We had some great performances, Cameron Detwiler, Sam Gustafson, and John Balch were all champions,” Coach Sullivan said, “Plus, we won 19 matches and 17 of them by pin.”

The swimming team traveled to Ralston high school on February 13 to compete in the RCC championship swim meet. The boys “blew out” the competition by over 100 points defeating their long time swimming rival, Ralston-Gross. This marked the first conference win in three years for the Skutt Catholic/Mount Michael boy swimmers. 

“We were really expecting to do well because of the way the swimmers were able to diversify this year,” Coach Jackson Thompson said. “From having a diver, to having three people in every event, we were able to score as many points as possible.”

The basketball, wrestling and swimming teams will complete their post-season matches throughout the upcoming weeks with district and state competitions. 

“I can not believe that we pulled it off this year to win all three winter sports,” Daniel Thomas ‘21 said. “Winning the whole conference is a great way for the athletes in my class to end their senior year.”