Mertz Bee-comes a Teacher at The Mount

When one thinks of a chemistry teacher named Walt, the hit TV show “Breaking Bad” comes to mind. Fortunately, here at Mount Michael, we do not have a cancerous meth-crazed chemistry teacher. Mount Michael has its beloved Mr. Walter Mertz. All teachers obviously have passions outside of the classroom. Mertz is no different. He is a man of many passions. One might say that Mr. Mertz has completed life and is now completing side quests; futhermore, Mr. Mertz is a proud member of the Omaha Bee Club, a club of local beekeepers. 

Mertz has always had a passion for gardening. Last spring, Mertz noticed that his crops were struggling. As a result, he got into beekeeping. He purchased all the equipment necessary. He got everything from protective equipment to the actual hives. When asked, Mertz said that he does not consider himself a professional beekeeper. He said that it is just another hobby he picked up to help his beloved garden by pollinating it. 

So as one does, he ordered around three thousand bees from the internet. Mertz is looking into adding one or two more bee hives in addition to the two he already has on his property. These bees will produce around 40 to 60 pounds of honey. Luckily, Mertz has said that he will be sharing it with some of his classes.  

Mertz uses his own little pollinators to help his expansive garden. He is currently growing squashes, tomatoes, green beans, onions, potatoes, and aronia berries. One of his recent additions to the vast number of plants is watermelons. Mertz stated that he is not sure how well they will do, but just wanted to experiment. Sounds like a true scientist.  

Our favorite beekeeper is also very well experienced in coaching cross country and track and field. Mr. Mertz was the head coach of the track and field team at Millard North High School here in Omaha. This year makes it his 37th year coaching track and field. In addition to this, Mertz has coached cross country for 11 years. Hopefully, Mertz’s experience will prove useful to the cross country team as he is one of the assistant coaches.  

Mertz will be teaching Forensic Science and AP (Advanced Placement) Chemistry this year at Mount Michael. Mertz said that he is excited for this upcoming school year and ready to take on the challenge of teaching Forensic Science and AP Chemistry.