Students Seek Simple Fixes Survey Says

Although The Mount is a place of joy and excitement for many, there are a few things that the student body sees room for improvement on. A common debate between the current students is the food. “Food at Mount Michael is better than what I eat at home,” Henry Stanek ‘24 said. While he sees Mount Michael food as a delicacy, some say the exact opposite, “The food is disappointing. I want to be able to bulk, but it is nearly impossible due to the taste,” Ben Weber ‘25 said. The quality of the food is not at the fault of one of the Mount’s best, Mr. John Bogatz, but it is at the fault of Gordon Food Inc..  “You cannot give a man a rock and tell him to catch a fish, but once you equip him with a fishing pole, he will catch a surplus of fish,” Max Coover ‘24 said. This quote by Coover can be applied to multiple areas of improvement within the school.

The student body understands that five-star buffets will not be an option, but it is sure that changes can be made for the better. One of those improvements being extended passing periods. “I recommend a one minute longer passing period, so I am not borderline late to biology every day,” Miles Wewel ‘27 said. Most students including Alex Broderick ‘24, who said, “The current four-minute passing periods are simply bogus,” would agree with Wewel. Broderick, and a majority of students at the Mount believe extending the passing periods would allow them to get to class in time. If students have more time to get to class, the level of stress may decrease and improve overall student performance. Student performance may also improve if the grade scale is a universal ten-point scale. “We want a better grading scale, this is so unfair,” Connor McLain ‘24 said. A ten-point grading scale would eliminate any confusion and be comparable to that of the other schools in the area. A universal grading scale may also provide for a better student transcript that may help students get better scholarships and be able to meet the GPA requirements when applying for college. Student performance would improve as far as grades if a universal grading scale was in place. 

Although some improvements are unreasonable, there are some that are simply common sense. Stanek said, “Let’s not make mountains out of molehills here, we can voice our concerns and go from there.” Stanek sees that the potential improvements are reasonable, and as the senior class president, he has the ability to put the student body’s voices into the conversation of school improvement.