Mount Students Take On Coaching

Mount Students Take On Coaching

Starting this winter, two teams consisting of Mount Michael seniors enter the CYO (Christian Youth Organization) Omaha recreational basketball league. The Bodyguards, coached by Mount Michael’s own Andrew Busenbark ’24 (A.K.A Coach Buse) and the Knights,(not to be confused with another team in the same league brandishing the name, The Knights of Ren), coached by track phenom Liam Ostrander ’24 (A.K.A Yung Cheetah) are very enthusiastic about the upcoming season.

But, what makes these young men qualified to lead such powerhouse franchises to a league championship?

Starting off, with the bodyguard’s head honcho, Andrew Busenbark.

Busenbark played in the OSA ( Omaha Sports Association) league with his Mount Michael classmates in 2020 as well as his freshmen year, and put together a solid hooping show out. Buse is also backed by his basketball performances on the New Fairfield Rebels middle school basketball team in Connecticut as well as being the esteemed point guard on the St. Patrick’s 8th grade basketball team.

Busenbark is expecting to establish a strong defensive team that will be able to lock up any opponent his boys face.

Busenbark aspires to be like his role model, Danny Hurley, who is the head coach of the University of Connecticut. With a fierce attitude, and a swift clipboard, Coach Buse is shooting for nothing less than a “chip” for his boys this season.

Challenging Busenbark for the spot as the best rec league coach at MM is none other than Liam Ostrander. Ostrander is best known for his extraordinary speed and athletic prowess on the football field as well as on the track.

Ostrander is backed by his three years of experience on the Mary Our Queen basketball team where he played a significant role as the shooting guard.

Unlike Busenbark, Ostrander knows that his team needs to work on a few things ahead of the season. Ostrander said, “The most important thing I am focused on is getting the team chemistry up to standard. A lot of my guys have not played since freshman year.” Ostrander also looks to lead his team to the chip, but is more focused on a balanced playing style.

He wants to instill a fast attacking and precise offense accompanied by a stout and unbreakable defense. Ostrander also is going to drive home the point of being humble on and off the court.
Overall, both coaches look to have a very successful season and hope to secure the end of season championship. Though the teams are in different conferences, their records will show which team and coach will reign supreme in the Mount Michael rec league history.