Joke of the Day

Ever since 2021, students at Mount Michael have been racing to find the answer to one question, The Joke of the Day. Founded by the manager of the Bookstore, Shelly Rodgers, the Joke of the Day provides entertainment, riddles, and most importantly, candy to the entire student body of Mount Michael.

“My goal for the Joke of the Day was for kids to come in and not feel like they needed to pay to get candy,” Rodgers stated.

The Joke of the Day proved to be successful as approximately 100 students participate in it per day, almost half of the entire student body.

The popularity of the Bookstore is only growing with kids showing up right at opening time just for the chance at a delicious free prize.

Not only is there a Joke of The Day on every school day of the year, but each joke is unique and makes the guesser think.

“I like how all the jokes are different and original,” Jackson Teetor ’25 said.

After making a guess at the Joke of the Day, students are rewarded candy based on if they were right or wrong.

The more desirable candy such as Smarties, Sour Patch Kids, and Skittles are handed out to correct answers, while the less desired candy such as Tootsie Rolls and suckers are handed out to wrong answers. Students can, however, guess until they find the correct answer, leaving for an empty basket at the end of the day.

Handing out this immense amount of candy would not be possible without the help of the Booster Club. At the end of last year, the Booster Club made a donation to pay for the candy handed out for the Joke of the Day.