A ‘K’night at the Ball: Annual Fundraiser Exceeds Expectations

Night of Knights is the annual fundraiser for Mount Michael. March 16 marked the 35th annual hosting of the event. The event consisted of a live and silent auction as well as private donations to the school. Held at A View West Shores, the night was truly special to all those who attended. With the purpose to raise money for the school, it was a massive success.

Thanks to Director of Events Mr. Seth Pierce, the chairs, and countless other volunteers, the night was like none other. The venue had basketball-themed decorations all throughout to match this year’s theme: Mount Madness.

Night of Knights is a special time of year for the community. The event allowed alumni to catch up with their former teachers and classmates. Sister Carol Jean Vandenhemel was spotted conversing with alumni from the Class of 2020.

To start the night, the silent auction items were displayed for all to see. The bidding was held online with various items being bought. A few include: customized shoes, frisbee golf bags and discs, a photography package, and various sports team apparel.

After the silent auction was dinner. The main course was a grilled steak with aioli and oven roasted salmon with potatoes. To end the feast, the guests were served with white or chocolate mousse with berries.

While the guests were served dinner, there was live entertainment. Entertainer ‘Blackjack’ Ryan, a Guinness record holder, captivated the crowd with his various basketball skills. He managed to spin five basketballs on his head and hands. Blackjack also brought guests onto stage to perform trick passes.

Another notable addition to the evening’s entertainment was violinist Olga Smola. Smola, mother of Timur Guliev ‘26, performed several pieces, including a rendition of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal.”

A very touching part of the night was a video produced by the Fellowship of Knights Program. With a goal of raising money to help kids not fortunate enough to be able to go to Mount Michael, the video touched on their need for funds to help these students. With the help of Mr. Jim Schulte ‘75 , $72,300 was raised for the program.

The live auction was also a success with various trips and packages being bought. The live auction included: Taylor Swift concert tickets, a goose hunting trip, a reserved parking space at Mount Michael, and a VIP graduation package.

The Downtown Collective, a live band, performed famous songs for the guests to dance to.

Another way everyone had fun was their outfits. Attendees were encouraged to wear basketball themed memorabilia, and a few standouts took it to the next level. For example, Mr. Charlie Boone, father of Will Boone ‘27, won best-dressed with his Flint Tropics jersey and shorts.

Through the work of Pierce, volunteers, sponsors, chairs, and attendees alike, the events raised over $360,000.