Athletics Beyond The Mount: Students Participate in Unconventional Sports

Although The Mount gives students the opportunity to participate in over ten sports, there are a plethora of sports not offered by the school. Many students who play these particular sports will venture outside of the Mount to participate in them.

Nathan Mullin ‘26 enters the dragon. Mullin participates in martial arts at the Jewish Community Center. Mullin finds that defending one’s self in serious situations is very important. “I do martial arts because I believe that being able to defend yourself is one of the most important skills you can have,” said Mullin.

Along with protecting himself, Mullin also finds protecting others and keeping people around him safe as another important aspect of martial arts. He has been participating in martial arts from a very young age. One could say that he was born to do this. “I got into martial arts when I was five and have been doing it ever since,” said Mullin. He started out watching martial arts but eventually would participate in it and even teach younger kids the way of the dragon.” I initially thought it was really cool to watch and continued to grow an appreciation for it as I learned more,” said Mullin. Even though Mullin is a boarder, he still finds time during the week to practice, even if it is difficult to fit into his schedule. “Practice is harder with boarding, but twice a week I have practice in which I teach younger students and work on my own as well as time I set aside to work on my own,” said Mullin.

Another student participating in an extraneous sport is Tiet Yual ‘24. Yual participates in archery in his spare time. Simply put, Tiet enjoys shooting arrows. “Why? I thought it’d be fun to spend my time shooting bow and arrows back in 6th grade,” Yual said.

Tiet has been training day in and day out for the state tournament coming up in Lincoln. “I have been practicing virtually every day until the state meet from 3-6 p.m. at the game and parks center in Lincoln,” Yual said. Even though archery is not an official sport offered at Mount Michael, Yual has still pursued an athletic career in it. “Had Jacob Idra not convinced me to come to MM, I’d be continuing archery at Gross where my coach’s daughter attended. Fun hobby,” Yual said.

Last but not least, Henry L’Heureux ‘24 dominates the rink while participating in ice hockey. L’Heureux’s warly hobbies helped him find his love for ice hockey. “Skating is one of my favorite activities,” L’Heureux said. “I started playing sophomore year when I started following the NHL,” L’Heureux said. “I practice twice a week for an hour and a half.”

Hard work is a big part of the Mount Michael community. This is shown by these few athletes among others that will go above and beyond to compete in their sport.