Lost in the Sauce: A Review of Burger Detour

If you ever find yourself driving down Maple Road around lunch time you might notice a very interesting building in the middle of a field. This building is home to one of the fastest growing fast food restaurants in the Omaha area, Burger Detour. With this popularity comes very high expectations. Looking back on the meal, it is safe to say that Burger Detour did not meet expectations, scoring way lower than previously predicted.

Pulling into the parking lot of Burger Detour you might notice something is a little bit off. After doing two laps around the property, it dawned upon us that there was not one parking stall available. This conundrum led us to park in the bank next door, which we noticed a few other patrons did as well. Also there was almost nowhere to stand while waiting for the food. It seemed wherever we stood, we were in someone’s way, which was not ideal.

With so many people at the restaurant, one might assume that the service would be slow, but this was not the case. We ordered our food and within five minutes our food was already out. Despite the restaurant being crammed with people there was no line. However, quick service does not guarantee high-quality food.

Coming in, we had high expectations for their burger, but we were ultimately disappointed. We both ordered a double cheeseburger and when just looking at the burger, it appeared to be very well made. The size of the burger exceeded expectations as it was almost one of the biggest burgers i’ve ever seen. However, problems quickly arose as soon as we picked up the burgers. The grease on the burgers along with the bun nearly caused the burger to slip out. The bun by itself was also a big problem, falling apart while trying to eat our burgers. The top bun was crumbling into pieces while the bottom bun had split into two making the burger nearly impossible to eat without making a mess. Looking past the bun the burger itself was not terrible. The meat was pretty well made and tasted pretty good. That is why it got a 3.37 rating

Next, were the fries. We were very excited about the fries due to their new concept called the Frix. The Frix is a mix of fries where you get waffle, crinkle, and normal fries all in one. The fries though were pretty sub-par and could have used some more salt. The 3.9 rating was carried by the concept.

The last item on the list is the sauce. Despite the other two ratings, the sauce was definitely an outlier. The sauce was without a doubt the best part of the meal. It was on the sweeter side but it wasn’t overpowering and really helped make the fries better. Without the sauce, the fries were not very good and lacked flavor. It looked a lot like Raising Cane’s sauce, but the tastes were slightly different, Burger Detours sauce was slightly sweeter than Cane’s sauce. This is why the sauce gets a 4.6 rating.

Overall Burger Detour did not meet its expectations. It did some things well like the service and the sauce. However, it definitely did some things wrong, like the bun and the execution of the fries. These factors lead Burger Detour to an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5.